- 1 loaf stale sliced bread (cinnamon bread is excellent)
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, soaked 20 min in hot water (or rum, or grand marnier…)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease with butter 3-quart casserole dish.
Butter both sides of bread slices, place on tin foil, and put into oven. Toast slices on both sides.
Combine sugar, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
Break up toasted bread, and put in casserole dish. Add drained raisins. Pour egg mixture over bread, and stir.
Bake 40 minutes. Serve hot or cold.