- 4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms (cremini, shitaki, oyster)
- Two tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme stripped to give 1 teaspoon leaves
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, leaves chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grilled Shrimp (see recipe)
Slice the onion and saute on low, with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter, until the onions are transluscent. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook stirring or tossing in the pan, for a few minutes, until they begin to soften and sweat. Add the remaining oil, turn the heat to medium, and add the garlic and thyme. Stir together, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, and cook, stirring often, for another 1 to 2 minutes, until the garlic has softened and the mushrooms are tender and brown. Add the wine and cook, stirring often and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the wine has evaporated. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add cream, parsley, and 1 tablespoon parmesan and stir together well.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water, according to the packet instructions and drain. Spread on a platter and cover with the mushroom sauce. Top with grilled shrimp, grate on more parmesan, and enjoy.