This blog is to share cooking with my children. Tonight I looked in the fridge for dinner and it occurred to me that I should share with the children how to make something from whatever.
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained OR diced fresh tomatoes (good place for past-prime tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- Optional: what leftover/extra veggies are there in the fridge? mushrooms? olives? slice and add them
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon or rosemary
- 2 cloves crushed garlic or 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb linguine or 1 lb other pastas
This dish will be much better if you have fresh herbs – just increase the amount of the herb and chop them up.
Combine olive oil, onion, garlic, (other leftover veggies, sliced mushrooms…) and spices in a skillet and saute until onion is tender.
Add tomatoes, wine, water, salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 15 minutes while preparing pasta, stirring occasionally. At some point add the chicken so it warms.
Drain pasta al dente,place into serving dish and toss with olive oil.
Pour chicken mixture over pasta.