If you don’t have spaghetti sauce on hand, or want a fresher tasting sauce than the jarred kind, here is my go-to.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1/2 red sweet pepper, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 big can of crushed tomatoes
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 teaspoon of dried)
- ¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or chopped Italian parsley)
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add the garlic and red and green peppers. Cook briefly without browning. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, 10 minutes. Stir in fresh basil and serve. You can thin this with a bit of pasta water if it seems too thick.