KATHARINE HEPBURN’S BROWNIE RECIPE
… translated from her memo above:
Two 1-ounce squares bittersweet chocolate
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter (plus more for the pan)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs (unbeaten)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup flour
- Set your oven at 325 degrees
- Line a 9×9 inch pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang so you can easily remove the brownies. Grease the parchment with butter.
- In small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- To the cooled pan, mix in sugar, eggs, salt, walnuts, vanilla and flour. Stir just to combine, being careful not to over mix.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
Options: toast the walnuts; add sea salt; add bourbon…