- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
- 6 oz. andouille sausage, sliced
- Optional: 3/4 pound ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay or Creole Seasoning
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15-oz.) can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
In a heavy large Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil & butter. Add onion, jalapeno, and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes, then stir in chicken and season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Cook until the chicken is golden, about 5 minutes, then stir in andouille sausage, ham (if using), garlic, and tomato paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, rice, and remaining seasonings. Reduce heat to medium low, cover with a tight fitting lid, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, about 20 minutes.
Add the shrimp and cook until pink, 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir in green onions just before serving.