- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 2 Tablespoons (35 ml) cream (OPTIONAL)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH of black pepper and ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound (500 g) ground beef
- 1/2 pound (250 g) ground pork
- 2 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth (or stock)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to season
In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs together with the milk, cream (if using), egg, garlic, salt, peppers and spice. Allow the milk to soak into the breadcrumbs for at least 10 minutes. Once the milk has absorbed some, add in the onion, meat(s) and parsley. Mix well with your hands to combine. Roll meat into about 24 small balls, or 16 larger balls.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Fry meatballs in batches so they don’t stew or simmer. Transfer to a warm plate and cover with foil.
Gravy: Add 4 Tablespoons butter and flour to skillet and whisk until it turns brown. Slowly stir in beef broth and heavy cream. Add worcestershire sauce and dijon mustard and bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add the meatballs back to the skillet and simmer for another 1-2 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or rice.